Contemporary Kitchen Remodel Ideas
Upgrading kitchen counters is a great way to improve the look of an outdated cooking area. Contemporary kitchen remodeling ideas can be expensive, but stainless steel can be the exception to this rule. There are many benefits of stainless steel countertops, including a stylish streamlined look that matches many different types of kitchen decor.
Remodeling Kitchens with Stainless Steel – Pros & Cons
The benefits of remodeling kitchens with stainless countertops are clear. These shiny stainless steel surfaces offer the following positive attributes:
- Durability – As a metal surface, stainless countertops do not chip or break.
- Stain-resistance – Any stains on a stainless steel surface can be removed with Comet or a non-abrasive scrubbing pad.
- Heat-resistance – Stainless counters are completely heat resistant – hot pans can be transferred directly to the countertop from the stove, with no scorch marks.
- Bacteria-resistance – Metal countertops are non-porous surfaces, so bacteria have no place to hide.
With all of these benefits, there are still some negative aspects to stainless steel kitchen surfaces. Among these, are:
- Denting – Although it is impossible to chip a metal countertop, it is possible to dent the surface. Buffing and maintenance can restore the countertop to its original beauty, however.
- Scratches – A metal surface can pick up scratches, even during cleaning if the wrong type of scrubber is used. Always use non-abrasive cleaning tools, and scrub in the direction of the metal’s grain to reduce scratching.
Kitchen Remodeling Cost
Kitchen remodeling costs, when using stainless steel counters, can be extremely low. Stainless countertops can run as little as $50.00 per square foot, depending on the style and extra features ordered – as much as half the cost of granite or molded quartz countertop. Installation price depends on the region and experience level of the installer, so call around for price quotes, and get referrals from friends.
How to Organize a Kitchen Cabinets
Countertop Remodeling With Stainless Steel – Considerations
When using stainless steel to remodel kitchen countertops, there are a few things to keep in mind. Although this surface costs less per square foot in the most basic sense, some countertops are textured and patterned to create a unique look and will be more expensive. These more expensive counters, however, are not as vulnerable to being defaced by a scratch, since the pattern distracts the eye. For homeowners that like the distinctive look of a stainless steel kitchen counter, the benefits easily outweigh the few negative aspects.