Annual family holiday is coming closer. Here some basic information about holiday, its traditions and some information on activities on those days. Let’s start Thanksgiving 2016.
When this year?
Thursday, November 24. Thanksgiving Day is an every year holiday, celebrated mostly in the United States and Canada. It is a day to be grateful and to thank last year and your closest one for all the great things that happened.
In the US Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November while in Canada it is second Monday of October. Thanksgiving has profound roots in religious custom, however these days it is good occasion to meet with your family without strict religious connection. For most of people those days is additionally a great opportunity to have long-weekend by taking day off on Friday.
- Giving free dinners and altruistic commitments. The Salvation Army is particularly popular for enrolling volunteers to serve Thanksgiving dinner.
- Expressing gratefulness. Whether you will go to church or tell thanks to your family and friends during the dinner is your choice, but it is definitely great occasion for it.
- Turkey pardon. Watch as the president frees one lucky turkey.
- Eating Thanksgiving dinner and later its remains for the week to come. Turkey is the centerpiece of the feast, and it is generally heated or broiled.
- Watch “turkey bowls”. Football professional and college leagues are shown on the Friday and Saturday just after Thanksgiving.
- Watch or attend a Thanksgiving parade. Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York is the most famous. There are parades in many other major U.S. cities as well.
- Black Friday Shopping. Friday, day after Thanksgiving is the day when huge sales are almost everywhere.
- Make a wish while breaking the turkey’s wishbone. Old trick, why not?
header--title standard-article--title anim-in-view in-view">How Much Food For Thanksgiving?
Make some math before doing shopping. Count how many people will come and then check the guideline for 11 main dishes for Thanksgiving, Here presented rather minimum amount you’ll need to buy.
photo by: goodhousekeeping.com
Additional ideas for you
Relax. Eat breakfast, go for a walk, watch movie. It is family time, but we all know how exhausting it maybe sometimes. So early hours for yourself.
Remember those that are passed away. Add thisÂ bittersweet note to your celebration. It won’t ruin your mood, it’s usually adds someÂ nostalgia to your evening.
Write Thanks notes. Leave these part private if you want. Remembering good staff helps to change the perspective, and see things from other side. Sometimes even bad year might be brighter if to concentrate on the good things that happened, instead of negative.